Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Handy Hubby Strikes Again!

OK, so I am a bit behind on getting this posted, but I still need to brag on my handy hubby once again. We had a bunch of friends over for the 4th and I had just mentioned to a friend the night before that I really wished there was a way to get off our deck down to the yard below, without having to go through the house.  We have a walk out basement and a deck off the 1st floor.  Our backyard is huge and a wonderful place for the kids to play.  So typically, the kids like to play in the yard while the adults sit up on the deck.  However, with having to go through the house to get to the kids, it isn't the most ideal of set-ups.....so, I was telling this friend that it would be great to have that done for the party (which was 2 days away).

Get this, the next morning, my amazing hubby says to me, "What would you think of me building some stairs off the deck down to the retaining wall?"  Seriously, was he eavesdropping on my conversation?  I didn't say anything to him about it.  So, the non-demanding wife that I am said, "That would be awesome, honey!  But it would be even more awesome if it was done for the party tomorrow night, so it would be easier to get to the kids." 
Guess what?  He did it!  He got right to work and built a staircase off our deck to the retaining wall off to the side below.  How many hubbies could manage that feat in a day and a half?  (Must throw in a "Thank You" here as well to a friend of my hubby's who came the next day and helped a bit.)  I tell you I've got a keeper for sure!

Many of you might ask why the current deck wood looks so funny.  That is the lifetime coating "Restore" we put on it last summer.  See post about that.
The semi finished stairs, still need opposite rail
and to be covered with restore coating, but functional!


Here is the reward I gave my handy hubby for being so amazing.  OK, I fib.  I didn't just go out and get this for him.  We have been saving for it for a year so that we could pay cash.  But once again, I have to brag on him.  The poor guy has been driving around an awful looking teal-striped pickup for the past 12 years and always put other things his family needed before him getting a new truck.  Sadly, that ugly truck is still sitting out in front of my house, but hopefully it will be gone soon.
See ugly, monsterous, teal and silver truck in background

0 comments: