Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Kindergarten Crying



















So, I survived the first day of Kindergarten and, so far, half way through the 2nd. 

As expected, Noisy Man was very excited to go and not hesitant in the least to enter into his Kindergarten classroom, even though mommy wanted to hold on to him just a bit longer.  I did great all morning.  We drove him to school the first day, so that allowed us to sleep in just a bit.  Got him up and ate a good breakfast, got dressed and then he sat and watched about 20 minutes of a cartoons while the rest of us got ready.  We headed down the road to Kindergarten (I totally just about typed preschool). 
Noisy Man and his teacher

Mommy made it all the way up to giving him a hug and a kiss goodbye until I started crying.  I tried so hard to hold it back so that he wouldn't see me, but I just couldn't do it.  He looked at me kinda funny, like "Why in the world are you crying, mother?"  But then just walked on into his classroom.

I stood at the door and watched, crying of course.   His classroom para came walking in and I asked her, "You said you would handle their tears if they cried, but who will handle mine?"  She gave me a sweet hug and stood and talked with us for a bit.  I was surprised daddy didn't out right laugh at me, although he did have a smirky little smile on his face, he just kept saying, "He'll be just fine, Mommy."  His teacher, Mrs. L, came over and chatted with us and reassured me for a short while as well until I figured I  had better move on and not blubber at his door all day.
Mommy and her big boy on his first day
Walking out of the school I got a few sympathetic looks from other teachers and such and his old preschool teacher saw us coming and said, "Most of the time I would give Miss Firecracker a hug hello, but it looks like Mommy could use a hug more today."  So, I got another sweet hug from Miss L. and a couple of tissues and finally made it out the door of the school, no longer weeping.  That lasted until daddy started telling me I would be OK and he would have fun and I cried all over again.

We were home all of 15 minutes before Miss Thumb Sucker is wandering the house saying, "Where Noisy Man?  Where he go?"  And the tears came again.
2nd day of Kindergarten, first day riding the bus there
I made it through, and was very thankful his day ended at 1:20.  We went and picked him up with a huge smile on every one's faces.  He had a very fun day, loved the lunch and everything they had done.  We sat and colored together while his sister's slept.

Today I sent him off on the bus and got all teary-eyed again as he waved good bye to me through his bus seat window.  He won't be home until after 4 today.  Man, I miss that kid!
Yesterday was also Mommy and Daddy's 8 year anniversary

1 comments:

Tami

Oh Shauna, it's an adjustment, to be sure, but I have found with each change like this comes a new dynamic in the house which can be good for the relationships with the other kids. And he will always come home every day. You'll get through this, but I feel for you. It's tough.

And happy anniversary! Great picture of you two. Your love for him shows.