Thursday, September 2, 2010

State of the Family #17

Prepare yourselves for a long one! Lets see if I can remember what has gone on in our lives for the last 2 weeks. I kept notes at the bottom of my prayer journal so hopefully it will help me keep track of what was going on and when but I can see as I flip through it I didn't do that great of a job. . .


Miss Thumb Sucker has taken off with a fury. Heck, I feel like she will be walking next week! Probably not, but it sure feels like she is moving that quickly. She is pulling up to everything and even starting to walk around it. Her favorite thing to pull up on is the back of my legs, to get my attention and try and get me to pick her up. Most of the time she does this when I am in the middle of something and can't. So, I am stuck standing there with a baby attached to the back of my legs, my hands full and not able to move! It is even difficult to be able to turn around to pick her up without knocking her over. She absolutely loves to open any drawers and doors that she can reach and see what treasures she can find. Her favorite is the junk drawer on the bottom of our coffee table and the DVD drawer on the bottom of our entertainment system. She is also trying to master crawling while wearing a dress, without getting stuck on it, and crawling on the cement when we are playing outside without tearing up her knees. I must say she is pretty smart and does quite well at both. She has moved to eating quite a few chopped up table foods but hates it when they are slippery things like peaches and bananas and can't get them picked up very well. Furthermore to show her growth, she had her 9 month appointment and was in the 88th % for her height and 22nd for her weight. Her height was right at the end of our infant seat limit, so we are going to have to move her up here pretty quick. Why can't they just stay little?

Miss Firecracker is loving the attention she is getting now that Noisy Man has returned to preschool. With a little one on one time with mom if Miss Thumb Sucker is sleeping it has really helped her attitude. She is still our little spitfire and one to find trouble wherever it can be found, but the fits and other episodes have really seemed to decrease with having a little more mommy time. We have gotten in quite a few games of Candy Land in the last 2 weeks, which seems to be her new favorite thing to do. She also got to graduate car seats since her baby sister will be needing the one she was in. Our solid and tall little firecracker is big enough for a backed booster seat, so she now gets to ride in a big girl seat like her brothers. Only hers is pink with flowers! She loves it. . . now we just have to learn not to unbuckle our seat belt in mid-drive! She is showing me my true colors as well, with her new favorite mommy quote being "You are just fine, CHILD!" I cringe every time I hear it cuz it is something I say to my children way too often when I don't want to deal with their whining or when Miss Thumb Sucker thinks she needs to be held and I am trying to do something else. She uses this phrase when playing dolls, house with her brother or daycare kids, or she says it to Miss Thumb Sucker before I do when she starts to get crabby. Oh, out of the mouths of babes. . . we learn the things we need correct in ourselves. A friend of ours just said at a recent Bible Study that they refer to these types of things as "God Spankings!" So true! There is more of me in this little Firecracker than I care to admit!

Like I said, Noisy Man returned to preschool last week! He was SO ready to go back. He is such a social kid, he just loves being able to see all his friends and teachers. The first and second day were quite eventful. Being the attached mother I am (and since he is my first born) I drove him to school and picked him up on the first day (which is better than last year where I did this for the whole first week!). They almost sent him home on the bus though. . . oh the bus. I was terrified that 2nd day that they would forget to drop him off at our house or worse yet, make him get off the bus at the ESU with no one there to get him. Since I had daycare kids, we had G'ma set up post and watch for him at the ESU then I stood outside our house and watched for the bus so I could see it if it took the wrong turn. . . Hello, woman! Whatever happened to trusting, God? This was a little lesson for me that I can't control it and just need to give it to Him. (My fears are justified, however, with the 2 horror stories I know of TC buses leaving small children at bus stops with no one there to pick them up). Anyway, he made it home safely and loves his bus ride.

Daddy has been working on small projects at home and at the farm. Hauling hay and fixing the hay rake, putting in a vent for the basement bathroom and sealing the cracks in the cement under our deck. Which brings me to this man's issue's with water. . . he is terrified of it. OK, not in the swimming sense, but in the it-might-get-in-our-house sense. He put the vent in the bathroom so that we can finally use the shower that we installed in our basement 2 years ago. We weren't allowed to shower in it because there was no where for the 'steam' to go and it might cause mold. He sealed the cracks in the cement so that water wouldn't seep in under it and get in our basement. Heck he even wants to completely tear out the back yard and move dirt so that it slopes away from our house more. I can't say that I have a lazy husband that is for sure. He is one of the hardest workers I know and takes extremely good care of everything he cares for. I just have to make sure to remind him not to go overboard sometimes. He needs a few trusting in God lessons as well.
I have also had a busy couple of weeks. I got lots of little projects done with no computer to fill up my time. I finally painted the other 2 walls I wanted to do last October when I painted the living room, I stewed tomatoes to freeze for making soup this winter, we picked apples and I have made 3 batches of apple sauce and wish I could keep up with dehydrating them faster than we eat them, and have done very well at keeping up with my housework. Now, if only I could say I kept up with the laundry I would be in great shape! I got to go on a fabulous shopping trip with my sisters, who showed me the trendy things to get instead of the boring ol' plain colored shirts I always seem to wear. Seriously, I folded a pre-shopping day load of laundry and there were 4 plain black shirts 3 black t-shirts and 5 pairs of running shorts. Sad. But they were able to help me pick out some cute stuff! We also had our MOPs kick-off, which I am totally excited for. It was so much fun and I am really looking forward to the adventure that it will be!
Well, I think that about covers it. . . thanks for sticking in there with me!

Here is Miss Thumb Sucker's 9 month picture and a family game night picture!

0 comments: