Tuesday, November 9, 2010

State of the Family #23

Hunker down folks, this ones a doozy. . .you might have to split up your reading time or just skip it altogether, we really aren't that interesting.

So it happened. The baby of the family turned one and we all survived. What else has been going on? Not sure I really remember. Where has the time gone? Halloween was in there somewhere.



Here are my cuties (and a couple of friends/cousins) in their costumes.


Miss Thumb Sucker continues to toddle about with her poor broken arm in a splint. It will be weird to see her without it (but oh so much easier to get her dressed!) come Sunday when we can finally take it off. But, oh the stories we will be able to tell her! She is completely on whole milk and doing quite well. Even only having a bottle in the morning most days! And that is only because she still insists that she needs to eat at 5:30 am and mommy is too lazy to sit and feed her so I just give her a bottle to drink in her crib and go back to sleep. She drinks the bottle better than a sippy cup, so I know she'll go back to sleep with the bottle better than a sippy cup as well. I know, its terrible of me, but you can throw stones later! Her birthday party was a blast and she did great! She hardly made a mess with her cake and it took her quite a while to dig into her birthday pudding. She was spoiled by all our family and friends! She is very in to babies and puppies and stuffed animals right now. Always loving on them and giving them kisses. Every single animal is a "puh puh" and everything else is a "ba ba". This includes babies, bottles, cups and balls. She also started saying "pa pa" for grandpa we think. Either that or she is calling grandpa's puppies too. Its hard to tell at this point.

Miss Firecracker has become quite the artist the last couple weeks and thus has been banned from any type of writing or coloring utensil for quite a while. In the last two weeks she has taken a crayon to the carpet and our tile kitchen floor, a pencil to our bathroom tile floor, a colored pencil to our kitchen table and an ink pen to our banister wall. . . every time the crime has been followed by a spanking, a time out and her having to help in the clean up process. You'd think she would figure it out, but she continues to find random things and color away on something new, none of which seem to be paper. Heaven help me! On a positive note for my fiery red-head. She had her 2 1/2 yr check up (finally) and quite impressed our new pediatrician. When she asked if Miss Firecracker could count to three for her. . . I asked her to count to ten. Although Miss Firecracker was being shy and would not comply the Dr was quite impressed with the fact that she was able to do so (truth is she can really count to 12 without help!). She was also blown away by her knowledge of her ABC's, body parts, shapes, colors, ability to copy a circle and x mark, to dress herself and attempts to skip and hop. My ornery little girl is functioning closer to a 4-yr-old than a 2 1/2-yr-old (could this be why is is such a trouble-maker?). Thus concludes my bragging-on-my-babies section. :)

She was not impressed with carving pumpkins, but liked the end product!
Noisy Man has been quite the comedian the last couple weeks. A few of his comical quotes include "I just want what I want!" (during one of his own little fits in which he wasn't allowed to have yet another piece of Halloween candy), "Mom, we should have another baby so we can name him the Muffin Man" (yeah, good luck with that one honey!), and "We don't want the animals to get hurt and die, Mommy. We want to get to hunt them down!" (this one came from a conversation about litter, and a book we had read about how animals can try to eat litter and it can hurt them.) He has also had his fair share of fits lately as well. He has started yelling at the top of his lungs about how unfair his punishment for disobedience is and/or how he should be able to have something he has been denied. Not sure where this is coming from as he is usually my even-tempered, soft-hearted one. I am guessing from a lack of sleep mostly as he has still only had about 2-3 naps in the last month. It isn't for a lack of trying, but with preschool in the afternoons he doesn't take naps those days and on his non-school days I make him lay down for a nap, but he will not fall asleep. Either way I need to figure out how to end these rantings from both of my older children before they teach their baby sister how to do it as well.

He thought digging out the guts of the pumpkin was a great time!

Duck hunting has gone down hill for daddy the last few weeks. Not shooting much, but he still considers this one of the best seasons he has had in over 5 years, so I guess not all is lost. I just have to figure out a good way to cook up some of this new meat that has now entered my freezer. Most of the time it just sits there and we end up throwing it out. Now we move on to deer season. I like deer season best. It is much shorter than duck season and daddy isn't very patient with it. He usually shoots his deer by the end of opening weekend because he is already tired of sitting still for so long. I do like getting the very cheap meat as well since we have the majority of it made into ground meat to use in place of hamburger. It is also a much healthier alternative. If anyone is interested, he has two tags to fill, so if you want to process the meat, he would gladly shoot a 2nd deer for you!

I am on cloud nine today as I am no longer nursing and am not pregnant. Like I said in a previous post, this is a first in a little over 5 years for me! I am ready for the break, but I do miss the quiet time with my baby. Luckily, she is a cuddle bug so I still get in some good snuggles. Also on cloud nine as I am wearing a pair of my pre-pregnancy, "skinny" jeans (I put this in quotes since I would never consider my thighs to be skinny, but this is almost as small as they get). They are still a bit snug around the thighs, but with my legs I am accustomed to this. I am just thrilled to be able to wear them and not look like I had to jump off a building to get in them! We'll see if they still fit in a couple of months after no nursing and the holidays!! Speaking of holidays, Christmas #1 for us is just around the corner as we are celebrating it at Thanksgiving since my niece will be here from TX. I can proudly say I only have one more gift to buy for this one! It is nice to have almost 1/2 my shopping done! It will also be nice to take a little of the gift getting/giving pressure off my kids so we can focus a little more on Jesus. Speaking of Jesus, I am currently reading an awesome book that I highly recommend. It is called "A Modern Girls Guide to Bible Study" by Jen Hatmaker. If you have ever felt (or always felt) a little stuck in your personal Bible reading time or like you don't get much out of it, this book is great! I am only in the 5th chapter. I have already learned so much and have a new view on my quiet times and personal Bible Study. Read it!

1 comments:

J

Ooh...I'll have to check out that book!! Can't believe how big your kiddos are getting! And Congrats on getting your body back to yourself...I'm sure you're enjoying regular bras instead of nursing ones...I know I don't miss those :)