Wednesday, January 19, 2011

State of the Family #28

Prepare yourself! This one is bound to be a doozy since I haven't posted an SOF for 2011 yet and we are 3 weeks in. Of course I might not be able to remember what has all gone on, so we'll see what transpires!

Miss Thumb Sucker has developed quite the personality over the past few weeks. We are quite opinionated, which she has decided to express through screaming and squealing until someone listens. And she just reminded me that another new expression is a quick "ehh" to let us know that she is in dire need of our attention and it will be repeated until such attention is given. She also uses fantastic vocal means by which to indicate that brother or sister is trying to take a toy from her or has a toy that she wants. Let me tell you, it has become quite noisy around here lately. Although, not usually in the best form, it is quite nice to have her communicating with us a little bit more. We do, however, have to get her doing so in a little bit more positive manner. She has added a few more signs to her 'vocabulary' as well and will use 'please' and 'thank you' when prompted. She has also decided that nodding her head 'yes' is quite fun and will tell you 'yes' in this fashion whenever you ask her a question. Even though it isn't always the most accurate answer, at least it is better than her saying 'no' constantly. 'No' is definitely a word that she chooses to not recognize in her vocabulary. We have quickly learned that "No, Miss Thumb Sucker!" does not get the intended response. She does, however, love to bring you things or (most of the time) come see you if you ask her to 'come here'. So, we have found that the best way to get her to stop doing what she is doing or to put down something that she has but isn't supposed to have is to tell her to bring it to you or give it to someone near, or tell her to 'come here'. Most of the time this works, but I can tell that in the 'orneryness' category she might just give her big sister a run for her money. On the sleeping front, she seems to finally have it all figured out. PTL! Last, but not least, she has decided she is a vegetarian. I have been unable to get this girl to eat meat in the last few weeks. I am even trying to be sneaky about it by slipping it in with things, but she is good. She will eat the part she likes and spit out the bits of meat I have added in. Chicken Nuggets have been the only meat I have been able to get down this girl in the last 3 weeks, and my jury is still out on whether or not these really qualify as meat. But, she'll eat broccoli and peas with the best of them, so I guess I'll have to live with that.

Miss Firecracker has been quite fun in the communication department as well. Her favorite new phrase is "I've got a problem" or "I'm having trouble". Such the big phrases from a 2 1/2-year-old. Although, they are not quite so 'funny' when they come from the bathroom after she just ran there saying she had to go poopy. That was a bit of a mess of which I will spare you the details. She handled it like a champ though. She is gearing up for her 3rd birthday, which is still 2 months away, but she is oh-so-ready to be older than 2! One of those "I am 2 going on 16" type of girls. She seems like the one I can't come up with much to write about. She has been pretty uneventful in the past few weeks, which, for her, is fabulous. I must report that she has been an angel at bedtime as well and hasn't come out of her room after being put to bed almost all year! I have been sure to praise her for this, in hopes that it will continue. She has had fun playing in the snow, although snowball fights seem to not quite be her forte. Poor thing always ends up with one smack in her face. As I sit here and try to think of what Miss Firecracker has been up to the only other thing I can think of is her infatuation with her sister. She is constantly trying to pick her up, sit her on her lap, pull her along somewhere or force her into some activity. Is this just a little mothering instinct coming out in her or what? All I know is that I can always tell when Miss Firecracker has Miss Thumb Sucker pinned up somewhere because Miss Thumb Sucker has a definite "Help me! My sister is attacking me!" type of scream as part of her new communication system. It has been quite the struggle to get her to lay off, but we don't want her to think that she can't play with her either. Oh the joys of balance!


Noisy Man. Now here is the one I will have to really try to cut back on my reports. The biggest news there isn't really with him, but his school and it is pretty public knowledge so I can spare you the details. Here is the link to the letter from the school and district health dept. In summary, 2 students at Noisy Man's school got bacterial meningitis, a terrible illness that can get to a level of severity of death if action is not taken. Thus, mass mayhem at his school with concerned parents and school staff. So, they closed school, cancelled all activities, gave all students in the ill children's classes the antibiotic shot and sanitized the entire place. I am really impressed at the school's response and management of the whole situation. Since Noisy Man is in the preschool (one of the ill children was in the morning session and he is in the afternoon) he had to have the shot and we, of course, were quite concerned. I spent almost all night Thursday and all morning Friday trying to figure out more about this illness and how concerned we really needed to be. My heart goes out to the preschooler who still is not doing well at all and his family. Please keep him and his family in your prayers. When things like this hit in your child's classroom, it makes you stop and think. On to a little bit of a lighter note. . . Noisy Man has discovered the joy my Cricut machine (it cuts out letters, shapes, etc) and the paper dolls and animals functions. He is having a blast cutting out pirates and cavemen, dinosaurs and lions. It is the first thing he asks to do when he wakes up and when he gets home from school. I LOVE IT. It is so fun to sit and create with him on this level. He has also been eating me out of house and home. Seriously, he out-eats me at most meals lately. He even amazed Gma and Gpa this weekend while he stayed there. Not even kidding, my 39 lb 4 1/2-year-old ate 2 entire pb&j sandwiches, 2 little cans of fruit and a helping of green beans, all in one sitting. To top that off, he was hungry again in less than 2 hours! Lord help my grocery budget!

the boys all grown up - well that might still be debatable!
Daddy was in a wedding this past weekend. He always looks so great in a tux! It was the last of our college friends to tie the knot and now we are wondering what we will do to get everyone together again. It was a wonderful time, we had way too much fun. I think both of us are still trying to recover. We just aren't as young as we used to be. He has also been doctoring his pick-up that should have been scrapped years ago. In fact, when some of our friends heard that the ol' teal-striped-beast was still running (It has over 350 thousand miles on it), they were amazed. Barely running would describe it a little better. It has some alternator problems, major oil leakage, and we can't keep tires inflated on the thing to save our lives. Now, evidently, the 4-wheel drive seems to be causing some issues. Just a few more months and we will retire the beast forever. It just has to last long enough for us to save up for a new (new to us anyway) one. Daddy also scored some major brownie points over the last 5 days. He was the knight in shining armor that took Noisy Man into the pediatrician to get his shot for the meningitis (I didn't think I could hold him down, he was crying before they even left), and stayed home with the kids on his (MLKJ) day off so that I could go to MOPS and not have to worry other mothers with the meningitis stuff and Miss Thumb Sucker's yucky nose. Even more, he emptied the dishwasher, filled the dishwasher AND did the dishes while I played with the other mommies! I told you this one was a keeper!

mommy and daddy at the rehearsal
Like I said, Daddy was in a wedding, so Mommy and Daddy got a weekend away! Granted, I was a nervous wreck to leave my kids after the whole meningitis scare, but pretty much everyone told me to go and I knew my kids were in capable hands (that and I made Gma promise to take their temperatures and check them for spots every morning and every night!). It was so nice to have a whole weekend to just have fun with good friends. It makes me want to start counting down the days to our ski trip to Colorado. I have also started officially training for the 1/2 marathon. Although, a training session with Hoss yesterday morning at MOPS followed by a 4 mile run last night leaves me a little gimpy today. I am trying out the intermediate training schedule this time, which will hopefully help me improve my time. But how can I not improve my time after how I ran the race last year? :) As long as I am healthy and still in shape I should be able to beat it. Lastly, I have noticed that my computer usage time is starting to rise once again, so I am trying to be very conscious of how much I am in front of its screen. Thus, the lack of timely posting of my SOFs. But, as you can see (if you even made it this far) if I wait to long it takes me way to long to cover all my bases. In fact I started this post yesterday and am finally getting it finished at close to 9 pm tonight. I guess I am succeeding in spending less time on the computer though.

the boys and wives


1 comments:

Anonymous

As a parent who lost her son to bacterial meningitis, my heart stops every time I see the word. When my 20 year old complained of nausea, vomiting, and a headache, the ER doctors thought he had a little virus. By the time the doctors realized it, it was too late to save my son. I have since learned that the CDC recommends routine vaccination for all 11-18 year olds. Visit the National Meningitis Association for more information. Don't lost your child to a vaccine-preventable disease. www.nmaus.org