Wednesday, March 9, 2011

State of the Family #32

I know it has been 2 weeks . . . again, but it has been crazy around here trying to play catch-up from being gone, trying to keep and/or get everyone healthy, and many other things to be listed below.  However, I am going to try and be brief, since, as usual, time is short.

I think it may be time for new nicknames for all the kids. . . OK, maybe not, but there are some others that would have worked in the last few weeks.

On my sister's bed reading to myself
Miss Thumb Sucker would become Miss Into Everything, Miss Reader, Miss Talkative.  She has still been obsessed with reading books every waking moment of the day, which is an awesome thing!  That is, until I am in the middle of making supper or playing with one of the other two kids and she walks up with a book and shoves it at me insisting that she be picked up, or 'backs' her way in to sit on my lap.  While, both of these are quite adorable, it just doesn't always work.  But, I have really been enjoying the cuddle time with her the many times I am able to sit with her and read books.  Her other favorite way to read books is to pull all of them off of the various bookshelves we have around our house.  I am continuously picking up books, everywhere!  She has added many more words to her vocabulary the past two weeks as well. Her favorite new saying has been "no, no, papa".  Not sure if both Grandpa's got in quite a bit of trouble while she was with them over our vacation or what, but it cracks me up every time.  She has also added, "pop" which she says while pointing to my morning can of Dt. Dr. Pepper and shakes her head 'no' because she knows she can't have it.  "Thank You" "on" and "coat" are the other ones I can think of off the top of my head.  All four of her molars decided to finally pop through, almost simultaneously.  They have been working their way in for over a month now.  The first one barely broke through just before we left for CO and by the end of the next week they were all in.  Man, this girl keeps me on my toes.

Wearing one of our ski helmets to play games
Miss Firecracker could never have a more fitting nickname, but there are a few others that could come in 2nd and 3rd.  Lately, it would be Miss Smartypants, Miss Independent, and Miss Pick-a-Fight-About-Anything.  She has always been a very independent little girl, but, man has she gone above and beyond these past few weeks.  Usually, she'll pitch a fit over something that she wanted to do on her own that isn't working for her and just bring it over to you, or when you go to her she'll let you help her out of the situation.   Not so much anymore.  She is insistent on the fact that she get herself out of the situation as well, which means we get to continue to listen to her pitch fits until the task is conquered, she finally gives in, or we have had enough of her screaming and force her to let us help her.  Lord, help me with this girl.  I am not quite sure how to handle her some days.  She is getting more excited everyday that her birthday is closer and closer, only 4 days away.  Most parents look at their kids and wonder how their baby grew up so fast, and I am so in that boat.  But, with Miss Firecracker it seems different at the same time.  She has always been so on top of things and such a talker that I have always thought her developmentally far beyond her age.  I really can't believe that she will only be 3, yet I don't know how 3 years went by so fast.  I have had many people very surprised, when they find out her birthday is coming up, that she isn't turning 4.  Even some very good friends of ours the other day were thinking that it was her 4th birthday, until they re-read the birthday invitation and it said 3!  The mom of this family made me laugh when she said, "It seems like she just came out of the womb talking."  So true!  On a final note for Miss Firecracker, we need a little prayer (no, not for my sanity in dealing with her fits and temper :) but regarding preschool.  We have always planned on sending her to the same preschool as her brother and she has always planned on this as well.  Just before we left for CO, we found out this might not be the case.  The preschool has lost its grant, and although they plan on continuing, now they must give preference to children who live within the district.  And, since it is such an awesome school, there are TONS of kids that want in the program.  Since we do not live in the district and there is such a large number of new kids wanting in next year, Miss Firecracker is on 'the bubble' for being accepted.  We will find out after May 1st whether or not she gets in.  This poor little girl (and mommy and daddy) will be crushed if she doesn't get in.

Teaching his sister how to ride his bike
I am totally coming up blank for the other nickname I thought of for Noisy Man.  It was perfect too, I thought of it the other night and just laughed at my own wit.  I guess it must not have been THAT great, otherwise I wouldn't have forgotten it.  He has been fairly uneventful lately.  He is learning leaps and bounds at his awesome preschool and is even starting to read.  I ordered a set of "Bob Books" for him at the referral of my preschool-teaching sis-in-law.  He isn't crazy about sitting and reading them all the time, but if you catch him in the right mood, he really feels great getting to read a book to mommy instead of the other way around.  He does an awesome job of knowing all his letters and their sounds and being able to 'piece' the words together.  His teacher at school says he is really doing great with the reading program they have started him and a few other classmates on already.  Heck, he even goes to Kindergarten round-up this Friday.  Where did my baby go?  For me, it is hardest to see my oldest grow up. 

All of them trying to fit in one laundry basket
OK, so much for being brief.  But, if you have been reading my blog for any length of time, you know I rarely ever am able to be brief.  Sorry,  I am just the long winded, rambling sort. 

Mommy and Daddy. . .  not much.  Daddy was brave and took both older kiddos to a farm sale last weekend.  After about an hour Noisy Man wanted to leave and Firecracker wanted to stay.  Go figure.  We both got to attend Noisy Man's Kindergarten round-up meeting Monday night. Mommy finally got back to running more than just 2 miles at a time this last Sunday.  I was fighting such a cough and energy-draining illness of some sort that it took all I had to complete 2 miles.  By the end I was exhausted and about ready to hack up a lung.  I did an 8 mile run on Sunday though and it felt great!  I even finished it with a 9:20 min mile!!  I am still having an awesome time at MOPS and am totally excited for a jewelry party I am having to help out a friend tomorrow night.  I also have a TON of work to do before Miss Firecracker's party this upcoming Sunday.

1 comments:

Tami

I see lots of similiarities between Miss Firecracker and my Drama Queen. I always thought of her as older than she was too because of that fiesty, independent spirit. I found myself expecting more from her than I should have because of it. I feel your pain, girl!