Thursday, February 3, 2011

State of the Family #29

Started Tuesday, Feb 1st: Once again, I failed in a timely posting so bear with me.  One of these days I'll get a day and time that I sit and do this every week so that I don't have so much to try and remember! Sorry for the lack of pictures, seems like I have fallen behind on that as well!

Miss Thumb Sucker continues to be little Miss Opinionated with screams and outbursts and other fun vocal arrangements.  She has also, evidently, taken some good lessons from her fit throwing sister as she now will let out a yell and plop herself down on the floor in protest.  At this point it is actually quite comical and I am going to have to try and get a picture of it.  For now, she doesn't quite know what to do once she gets herself plopped down and just sits there (crying usually).  Then she will stand back up just to do it again.  Most of the time I just walk away so as not to give attention to her adorable little tantrum (that and half of the time I am laughing at her and don't want her to see), but she usually just follows me to continue the tantrum.  Like I said, right now it is actually kind of cute, but I am sure the cuteness will be short-lived and I will have to find a way to remedy the problem soon before they really are full-blown tantrums.  Poor little dolly had her first bout of the flu or food poisoning (which is my guess) the other weekend as well.   She tossed her cookies about 3-4 times one morning between about 4 am and 10 am and then was perfectly fine the rest of the day.  No fever, no over-tiredness, just the fun vomit to clean up from a 1-year-old who still wanted to play in between each time she lost it.  She took a nap at 10:30 and woke up completely fine and has never looked back.  Not sure if it was the flu or something she ate (or most likely found on the floor), but whatever it was, she handled it like a trooper. She has become a jabber box and climber as well.  She will talk your ear off with gibberish that just melts your heart and is climbing on our kitchen chairs, couches and the slide in the basement.  Quite an adventure! 

Miss Firecracker, again, has been pretty uneventful.  Other than an ear infection and sinus infection, which she has handled like a trooper, she has been pretty good.  She has been a singing machine as of late.  I can't quite seem to convince her that Christmas has passed us and she needs to move on from Jingle Bells and Away in a Manger but she sings what she knows.  Well, that and she makes up whatever song her little heart desires.  Each song, however seems to start with something about princesses and herself and dancing and they all end up in Santa Claus is Coming to Town.  I do have to let you know that as soon as I posted my last SOF about how good she has been lately, she had a major melt down.  I thought about amending my last post, but she had been so good for so long I left it.  And, thankfully, the melt down was short-lived and most likely caused by a major lack of sleep.  She has still been doing quite well and if she continues, I might have to find her a new nickname!  She has really been in the mood for learning and can't wait to start preschool.  She wants to be writing letters and learning their sounds, she is counting everything in sight and remembers everything she sees and hears.  I have been trying to work with her on learning her letters and writing her name.  I can tell she is going to be one smart cookie.  She does great at all the pre-writing stuff I have been doing with her and her new favorite writing activity is practicing her letters in play dough! 

Noisy Man has had it rough since my last post.  He has been sick with the flu for the last 5 days.  Today is the first day I would consider him 'healthy'.  And that only qualifies because he is eating once again.  He still isn't completely up to par, so I guess today would be day #6.  He started at 3 am last Thursday and seemed to recover by Thursday afternoon and was fine on Friday as well, even though he still wasn't eating much.  But then by Friday night his fever returned and Saturday afternoon the rest of the symptoms returned as well.  It has been the weirdest and longest bout of the flu I have ever seen, poor little boy.  He will be ok for 5-6 hours and then start vomiting again or out the 'other end'.  Thankfully, it has been almost 20 hours since his last major issue and he ate well for breakfast and pretty decent for lunch as well.  Hopefully this is the end of it.  He also made me quite proud as well the weekend before last.  His new baby cousin was baptized in the catholic church and we got to attend of course, mommy and daddy were even lucky enough to be her sponsors.  The proud moment came when Noisy Man had the insight enough to ask about baptism and why Baby Cousin R got baptized as a baby and he didn't remember doing that for Miss Thumb Sucker when she was that little.  Thus, ensued a wonderful conversation about how our church believes in baptism after you accept Jesus in your heart instead of as a baby followed by confirmation, etc.  It was a great 'Jesus Moment' of learning for him and I was smiling from ear to ear with all of the insight he already had and questions he was asking.

Daddy has been a hero once again.  He has been the sole child keeper most evenings for the last week since mommy was very busy helping with the benefit for the sick preschool boy (more on that in the mommy section).  So, a big thanks to him is owed for filling in the gap for me there.  He even brought all 3 of them to the spaghetti feed by himself.  Mommy was too busy directing incoming benefit attenders to help so daddy had to fly solo.  It was pretty impressive considering the place was a wonderful zoo!  He even helped out the benefit by grabbing some extra needed stuff from McDonald's and brought it with him and the 3 kids.  He had spent the earlier part of that day on the ice, fishing.  I guess they had pretty good luck cuz they stayed quite a bit longer than planned.  He said most of the fish they caught were pretty small, but I guess that is better than just sitting there on the ice freezing and not catching anything.  Actually, I probably can't say they were freezing cuz I think they had a hut and it was really pretty nice out that day. Other than staying at home with the kiddos and a fishing trip, I really can't think of what else daddy has been up to.

Like I said, Mommy has been busy!  I helped with the spaghetti benefit and silent auction for Josef Parker, the little boy at Tri County that got the bacterial meningitis that I mentioned last SOF.  It was an amazing night full of generous, big-hearted people and open pocketbooks for a great cause.  We were able to shuffle in over 1,200 people for the dinner and raised over $43,000 in one night!  In the whole week through asking for donations and such solely associated with the benefit we raised nearly $60,000!  What an amazing God and community we have.  Sadly, Josef passed away the morning following the benefit, but what a burden lifted from this poor family's shoulders.  To not have to worry about $60,000 worth of the medical bills and living expenses while trying to heal from the loss of their son.  And this was just the benefit.  There are also funds set up at two different banks, $1,700 was raised at an area basketball game that same night and there are jars around various businesses within 100 miles of the school.  It was such a blessing to be part of this amazing experience.  I definitely got more out of it than what I put in.  I am looking forward to a fun-filled weekend of scrapbooking the next two days, a marriage mini-conference the next weekend and a ski trip at the end of the month.  It is going to be a whirl wind, but I am SO excited about all of it I feel like a school girl!

0 comments: