Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Candy Bars, Boxes and Birdies

Last week the kids had their AWANAs Awards night.  They all did super standing up on the stage and accepting their little awards and (as a tradition at our church) huge, chocolate candy bars.  I wasn't sure at first if Miss Thumb Sucker would even go up on the stage, but she did and actually kind of liked it.  She cracked everyone up with the cheesy smile she gave at the end for picture time. 

Noisy Man checking out the chocolate, wondering if mom will let him eat it.
Not the greatest picture.  The best one I had of a great face ended up with our
pastor's backside.  I didn't think he'd appreciate me posting it. :)
Afterwards we got to go through a huge box maze made with a ton of cardboard and 5 miles of tape.  Our church's youth pastor spent countless hours putting it together.  It was very cool.  I was super excited to take the kids through it since daddy didn't think he would fit.  However, I hit the first dead end and went into panic mode.  I can't even describe how I felt.  It was sheer terror of not knowing how long I would be trapped inside these small boxes and not knowing where the exit was.  I sent Noisy Man and Miss Firecracker on with another gal and hightailed it out with Miss Thumb Sucker.  We went back to the entrance.  Everyone thought Miss Thumb Sucker got scared.  I was a bit embarrassed to have to tell them that it was me.  Miss Thumb Sucker was actually mad that I made her come out, so I sent her back through with a high schooler.  Miss Firecracker got scared half way through and had to come back out.  Noisy Man went off on his own when they turned back around and found his own way out.  I stood outside the maze the whole time terrified that my babies were lost forever.  They all came out just fine.




Our other recent, fun venture here is a nest full of baby birds just outside our front door.  I have a metal lantern-type stand just outside the door and a mama bird thought it would be the perfect place for her nest.  I have to say, it does work quite well.   We found the nest early on and have had fun watching it.  The kids were super excited when they hatched and ask to see the baby birds almost every day.  So far, they have done an excellent job at not getting too close to them.  I need to get another picture of the babies, since this one is about 10 days old.  They have almost doubled in size. 


0 comments: