Sunday, March 28, 2010

Are my knees supposed to sound like this?

Well, I made it. I woke up to a text from my running partner that said she got called into work for a code (she is a NICU nurse) at 1245 am and would let me know her status asap. . . I got ready for the trek to Lincoln to run, and packed dry clothes to change into for after I was done. I got to the edge of town and heard from her that she was just getting off. . . no running partner for me. My very first real race, my very first 10 mile run and I had to do it solo, in the rain. Can I tell you I was overjoyed! I got about 2 more miles down the road and turned around. No, I didn't decide to back out, I realized I forgot my purse! Oops! :) So, now I was running behind and clueless. Got up to the race and no thanks to State Farm organizational skills I found where to go to get my # and packet. Then, thankfully found a friend who would help me with my chip (the device you attach to your shoe that takes your time from finish to start), cuz I was clueless as to what it was. Then, prepared to run. Thankfully the rain subsided and actually stopped for a few hours (Praise you God!!). I took all my stuff back to my car, pumped and attempted to find a bathroom that didn't have a 4 mile long line with no success. Guess I'd have to hold it for 10 miles. Then I heard the line up announcement from the starting line and fell into place with the other 900 runners, ran for 10 miles and crossed the finish line. I really felt pretty good. My left knee and hammy bothered me a little for the last 2 miles but once I was finished they felt fine. Then, I went straight to the bathroom. :) Only by God's grace did I not feel like I had to pee the entire race, but when I was done it all hit me! Then I drove home, drank some water and took a nap! After I woke up I had a pretty decent headache from being dehydrated (cuz I was too afraid to drink too much water while I ran so I didn't have to go at mile 5). But, man, my knees hurt and cracked and popped and yelled at me every time I bent down. I felt like an old woman. Thankfully, today they are feeling much better, but still sound pretty funny. Especially on the stairs. I feel like a box of Rice Krispies. :) But I survived. I ran 10 miles without walking and I did it in 1 hour and 51 minutes! Bring on the 1/2 marathon!!
Oh yeah, yesterday was a fun day of firsts. My first race and Miss Thumb Sucker rolled over for the first time too! Also the first day for me to have cupboards above my washer and dryer as my wonderful and handy hubby put some up for me!!

0 comments: