Friday, March 26, 2010

An Attempt

So, currently I am attempting many new things in my life. . . one being this blog. Not sure what prompted me to start this in the first place. Maybe it was reading all of my friends' blogs and thinking it would be fun, maybe it was reading all the Pioneer Woman's blogs and wishing just a little bit that I could be that cool and funny (yeah right :), but I am hoping that it will accomplish one new thing I am trying in my life as well: to talk about myself less and listen more. I thought maybe if I talked about myself on here, when in conversation with others I would do it less. I am hoping this is the case. You see, one of my Proverbs 31 Ministries email devotionals this week was one of the authors telling her story about how she became so dependent on gaining the approval of others that she lost sight of the only approval that matters - God's. I felt much in her same shoes, so I am going to give it a try myself. So, if you want to hear things about me, you can read them here. I am going to try and talk less and listen more, which will be a challenge cuz I am a talker! There, you have just been made responsible for keeping me accountable to this! ;)
Another new thing is long distance running. In High School all I ever ran were the 100 M dash, 100 M hurdles, 4x1 relay and long jump. . . nothing more than 100 meters! So, now I am training for the 1/2 marathon in Lincoln. That is 13.something miles!! I think I am nuts! Have you seen my legs? Short and stalky, definitely not distance runner legs. But, I'll give it a shot. My goal is to finish, not win! I did start doing quite a big of running after Jeff and I first got married, before kiddos arrived. I never ran more than 5 miles, but I enjoyed it. So, in attempt to get back into shape and lose this disgusting 'stuff' that seems to be hanging out around my midsection after baby #3 I decided to finally start training for the 1/2 Marathon that I had wanted to do for the last 4 years. Tomorrow, however, is my first attempt at "racing" where I will be running the 10 Mile at the State Farm run in Lincoln. It is supposed to RAIN all morning. . . yikes! This could be interesting. Please say a prayer for me. . . I will need it!
And not last and definitely not least (but the last thing I'll drone on about in this post) is the fact that I am attempting to yell at my children less. You see, I have been getting up at 445 am 3 days a week to go run for my training, which means I am tired. This is on top of the fact that my little thumb sucker still gets up usually at least 2 times in the night for a feeding before this time. This means I am even more tired. . . and when I am tired, I am crabby. I was telling a friend that I am glad my kids are too young to be able to have a good memory of this time in the future. Cuz if they did it would surely be the memory that they started with, "Remember that time that mom was training for the 1/2 marathon? Man, she was always so crabby." Thus, I am trying to control my crabbiness and temper that seems to flare when I am sleep deprived. Pray for me about this too! This week has gone well, with the exception of Tuesday. Tuesdays seem to be the worst for me for some reason.
OK that's enough for today. . . have a good one!

2 comments:

Anonymous

Great blog Shauna! You are an inspiration to many. :)

Julie

Cute template! I think blogging provides an avenue for people to know what to talk with you about so it ends up allowing you to talk about yourself more. No matter what, it's therapeutic. I can tell I'll enjoy reading it!