Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Weekly State of the Family Address

I've decided it would be fun to give just a quick update on everyone in our family once a week. It will be a fun way for me to look back and see what we have all done and record different things about the kids. I don't want to tie myself down to a specific day of the week to do it though, cuz I am not that reliable. So, I will just try and do it randomly once a week. This might be one reading you want to skip if you don't want to read useless information about my kids, although with my children it could prove to me amusing!
Funny quotes from Miss Firecracker as of late, "It not very good mommy." Talking about anything that she chooses not to eat no matter who it might offend. Recently, though it is just her medicine. "I all done crying" she says as she is still sobbing from the time out spot. . . she knows she can't get out until her fit is finished, but evidently she thinks that just saying she is done works. "You happy mommy?" her check of my mood. . . but really I think she is just checking to see how much she'll get away with for the day. Funniest thing about this quote is that it always comes while she is sitting on the potty. She always asks daddy too. She had another one that made me laugh out loud in the bathroom this morning while she was 'helping' me get ready, but for the life of me I can't remember it now. Hopefully it will come to me by the end of the day.
Noisy Man is gearing up for all this Easter stuff. They did an egg hunt at school today and the Easter Bunny came to visit. I really struggle with how to balance all this commercialized junk with the real stuff, especially now that he gets the outside influence at school. Before we have just been able to ignore most of it cuz he was too little to really miss it, but now that he is figuring it out I'll have to figure it out too. We have been reading the Easter story nightly and talking about how Jesus died for us on the cross, but it is just such a huge concept that he just isn't quite ready to really grasp it all yet. At least he knows what Easter really is. I just try and downplay the rest.
Miss Thumb Sucker is going through a phase (and, oh, do I pray it is short-lived) where she has decided that daddy is no good. She screams bloody murder (that is his account of her crying anyway) if daddy has her and mommy is not within sight. And even when she can see me, it only lasts so long. So, now it is virtually impossible for me to leave her with him without feeling completely guilty and just worrying the whole time about how she is doing for him. Yes, I know that she will survive an evening or two of "crying it out", but how many can daddy take?
Daddy is also having some major issues with neck pain, and although I sympathize with him and am certain it does hurt and have to be hard to deal with all the time, I struggle with showing it because I just get tired of hearing about it (I need more empathy, I know this is very mean of me, I'll pray about it). We have tried different avenues of treating it, chiropractic, physical therapy, x rays but no one seems to know what is going on. Muscle relaxers seem to help, but he is totally against just drugging up every day so decides just to complain. . cough, cough, I mean deal with it, so he only takes those when it is intolerable. Anyone have any suggestions?
And a mommy update, man, I am boring. Still running, still trying to catch up on the laundry. I did get the 2 baskets put away, but just in time to put another load in the washer. Can you say hamster in a wheel? I never get anywhere!! I guess my main news is that I had a couple moles removed last week cuz one was annoying and the other one looked a little funny. They sent them in to be checked and the annoying one came back fine, but the other one was not so clear. It isn't cancerous, but they did say if I would have left it, it could have turned bad (there was an official term but I didn't write it down so now I have no clue what it was). So, now I have to go in and have the spot "dug out" a little bit better to make sure they don't leave anything behind to turn ugly later. Not a big deal since we caught it this early and they will check me over for anything else they might find suspicious as well. But now I have to have stitches, never had them before. Pray for me, I am a wimp!
And there you have it, the state of our family. . . aren't we a hoot!

1 comments:

Tami

How can you be nearly 30 and NEVER had stitches?! Everyone in our family has had them, half of us more than once! You must be a more graceful family!