Thursday, April 8, 2010

State of the Family Address

Noisy Man is growing up, "sniff, sniff". He has made it all week without his mines. (For those of you who have no clue what a "mine" is, they are his little yellow security blankets he has had since he was 2 months old. He calls them his mines because they are, well, his! His sisters both have security blankets as well and respectively call them mines.) We forgot the mines at Grandpa Gary's Saturday after staying there for Easter festivities. Saturday night he was so tired he didn't even realize he didn't have them. Then Sunday at nap time it was the ever so frequent "mine search" (he leaves them all over the house and we can never find them when we need them) before he could lay down for nap, which he never ended up taking. (Another growing up issue I am having with him. He seems to think he is too old for naps some days now. Again, sniff, sniff.) But, we finally realized they were no where to be found and called Grandpa. With a confirmed "uh,oh" from the other end of the phone I knew they were still on the bed where he slept the night before. Thankfully, we have survived, and he is doing quite well without them. I don't think he will remain without them as he still asks when we are going to Grandpa's to get them. When I told him it was too far to drive just to go get a blanket, he said "TWO blankets, mommy!". Because that is so much more worth an hour trip both ways.
Miss Firecracker is going through a lovely little phase in which she decides to wake up at an insanely early hour and think she needs to come to bed with mommy and daddy. This is a major no, no at our house as we see mommy and daddy's bed as one place we can have to ourselves (with the exception of very ill or infant nursing children). So just to come sleep with mommy and daddy because you woke up in the middle of the night and feel like it doesn't fly. She has done this 3 times since almost 2 weeks ago when she woke up at 4 am with an almost 104 fever (thus qualifying her for admittance into mommy and daddy's bed). And, oh boy, does she ever qualify for her "firecracker" nickname when she discovers she has to stay in her bed. She kicks and screams and flails and usually ends up getting a spanking. It isn't pretty. Yes, I realize this stems from the fact that it is hard for a 2-yr-old to understand that there are times when it is OK to sleep with mommy and daddy and there are times that it is not. . .but that is the way it works and she'll get it eventually. I just hope she figures it out sooner than later cuz I usually end up getting so mad myself, having to go back to bed and listen to her scream that it takes me forever to calm myself down enough to be able to go back to sleep.
Miss Thumb Sucker is currently smiling at me from her exersaucer, a toy we just recently started putting her in. She seems to really enjoy being upright and able to watch what is going on around her. She isn't enjoying her antibiotic though (diagnosed with an ear infection by Aunt Dr Sara, P.A.C, at our family Easter). She gags and pukes it up if you try and give it to her out of the syringe, so we have to mix it in a bottle to give to her. This is just a wonderful use of my time. I have to pump then mix in the meds and sit and try and get her to choke down funny tasting milk. She does OK with it, but it usually takes her a while to get it all down. She just knows it isn't quite right. Only 5 more days left of this thankfully.
Daddy has been Mr. Handy the last couple weeks. I have gotten new cupboards above my washer and dryer put up, stained, and filled all by Mr. Handy himself. I have a new storm door on my front door courtesy of Mr. Handy. My garden is tilled and my potatoes are planted (he had to dig the holes, cuz I couldn't get deep enough myself). My lawn is mowed and he is almost done sanding down a hutch that I acquired last year and have been wanting to refinish. Hmm, I seem to notice that all of these things are "mine" or "my projects" but he seems to be doing all the work. . . isn't he grand!! I love this man!! Now if only he would do laundry! LOL just kidding!
As for me, not too much is new here as usual. Sleep deprived, behind on the laundry and trying to sort through spring and winter stuff, which I hate doing. It is that time of year where you still need the winter stuff out, but need the spring stuff too, and it just won't all fit in the dressers and closets so I have it strewn out across the floor and in totes and bags. It is a disaster in every one's rooms. I did get through Miss Thumb Sucker's room yesterday though. Sorting out all of her newborn and 0-3 month clothes she doesn't fit in anymore and putting all of her 3-6 mo stuff in the drawers and closet (now that she is 5 months old and will probably out grow that size in 6 weeks!). Now I just need to mark all of the 0-3 mo stuff for my garage sale. . . which will happen as soon as I get through all of my junk, I mean stuff I don't need anymore but you do!! :) So, my garage sale will probably be sometime next century but hopefully by the end of this June.
There you have it the excitedness that is our house! Have a good one!

0 comments: