Friday, August 31, 2012

I Really Don't Like to Finish a Good Book

I get pulled in.  Engaged in the plot.  Wrapped up in the characters.  Good books are such a good escape.  So good, in fact, that I always feel a little bit disappointed when I am done with them.

I don't want to be all done with the characters.  I want more.  I want to know what else happens.  As Paul Harvey would say, "I want the rest of the story."

This is the case with yet another blogging for books book from Waterbrook/Multnomah Publishers.  Thanks to them, I have discovered a wonderful author and have received many of her books for free.

Cindy Woodsmall has had me lost in all of her books, staying up way too late and ignoring too many household chores and her latest novel, "A Season for Tending" was not any different than the 7 previous books I have read.

True to her Amish stories, this one burries you deep in the culture and the characters feeling as if you were right there with them.  "A Season for Tending" tells a story of a young Amish woman who has been given special gifts and how they have haunted and blessed her life.

Rhoda Byler has a green thumb to say the least.  She grows berries and herbs and goodness galore and makes canned goods out of her bountiful harvest.  So much so, that she even has her own business, Rhode Side Stands.  Her other gift, one of intuitions, however, doesn't seems to be as profitable as her jams and jellies.  Her intuitions and knowledge of healing herbs and remedies seems to have given her a not-so-pleasant reputation and superstitious eyes through her community have labled her as somewhat of a witch. 

The King's are struggling to keep the orchard that has been a part of their family for generations alive and through series of unpleasant events, find themselves in the middle of Rhoda's berry patch.  Through a well-thought out business plan and a bit of desperation the Kings find Rhoda as their only hope to keep the orchard alive.

You'll have to read for yourself to see if Rhode Side Stands teams up with King Orchards and to tumble through the tragedies, rumors and romances that twist and turn throughout the entire book, but you'll have to wait until September 18th when the book is released.

The only thing I can say negative about this book is the fact that I finished it too soon and will now be stuck waiting for the next book in the Amish Vines and Orchards series to be published, which will be months I am sure. 

2 comments:

Julie

Jealous that you got to review that book! Can't wait to read it!

vwwannab

If we come out for the run at the beginning of Oct. I'll bring it with me for you to read! :)