Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Ickies

I'm not sure "ickies" is even a word, but we have been plagued with them around here lately.  I can't be more thankful that they have all been pretty minor, but for this generally healthy family it has been a rough couple of weeks.  Even mommy got sick, and I never get sick.

I was actually even the first one to get sick.  I started feeling crummy right before school started.  It was a good thing I wasn't starting school or I would have probably had to skip the first day.  I was so run down that I had to even ask Daddy to stay home and help me get the whole crew ready for the day.  Once everyone was dressed and fed he headed to work and I headed out the door to take Noisy Man to school, then to a meeting and then back to pick him up and then I crashed for 2 hours.  After a week of suffering and coughing I finally gave in and went to the doctor.  Diagnosis:  Bronchitis.  Ugh.   I got some powerful antibiotics, steroids and a cough syrup with codeine that would knock me out for hours.  (I wasn't able to take that very often during the day while the kids were depending on me.)   I am just now starting to feel back to normal and even considering running. That wasn't even a dream while I was sick.

On the Wednesday before she started school, Miss Firecracker started running a fever so we headed her into the pediatrician's office to find a lovely little ear infection.  She was fighting off a pretty good cold too, which probably caused the drainage in her ear as well.  Thankful for amoxicillian and she is all better!

Then my healthy boy couldn't kick a little cough he picked up at school.  It just kept getting worse and then he started running a fever off and on so we got him in to see the pediatrician as well.  Sinus infection for him.  Poor thing even stayed home from two days of school.  He would be miserable in the morning and once the cough medicine and Tylenol kicked in he would be back to normal, but with a low grade fever and uncertainty of when the Tylenol would wear off, I kept him home.  He finally headed back today fever and sinus headache free.  He spent all of last night doing homework so that he wouldn't have to miss recess today.  Quite the studious little guy.

Lastly, Miss Thumb Sucker has been battling her allergies.  I feel like a terrible mother to a kid with allergies though.  I do not have the slightest hint of allergies so I have no idea when it is a bad allergy day or not.  Hopefully, I can get into a habit of checking the allergy alert things on the news so that I know when she is going to need her medicine or not (I don't want to be doping her up if she doesn't need it).  So, if you have allergies and want to help me out on this, I'd be open to any advice. 

So, that is our icky report.  Exciting, huh?

1 comments:

Tami

Tanner's struggled with allergies for years. We get an allergy alert in our email telling us what the specific allergens are and how high the pollen counts are. It can be very helpful. Go to pollen.com, click under the tools and downloads tab and find your preferred way of getting the daily info. You only get notified if the pollen counts are in the medium range or above. Note: With my kids, the symptoms might appear the NEXT day on a high pollen count day. If I know it's a particularly high day, I'll have him shower before he goes to bed instead of in the morning so he washes the pollen off before he sleeps. Hope that helps!